Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Top Ten Tuesdays: Series I've Been Meaning to Start

Welcome to Top Ten Tuesday, a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!

Hello procrastination, my old friend.

Clearly, Simon and Garfunkel had better rhythm, but I don't so much have an issue with darkness of the soul as I do lassitude of the mind. I can talk myself out of almost anything, which is probably why I'll never make any Really Big Decisions like getting married or buying a house. I will always find a way to not do something because I've brainstormed all of the ways it could go horrifically wrong.

Or I'm just feeling tired and not that into it at the moment. Either one, really, is a normal scenario.

Take blogging, for example. I love writing while I am writing, but staring at a blank screen trying to come up with Words so I can talk about my Feelings is extremely difficult. Therefore, I tend to go off and do other things, and by "other things," I mean "play Star Wars games on my tablet."

Generally, if I am interested in a series but haven't started it yet, it's for two reasons:


  1. I want to know I can at least jump into book two right after book one if the series is good.
  2. I am afraid of the Feels that I will experience and so avoid the book so as to cut out awkward and messy Feels.

Uh, that's about it. Without further ado, I present you with ten series I've been meaning to start but haven't:

  1. Dune by Frank Herbert. I suppose one could argue that Dune is Dune and need not be taken as a series opener, but it is, and I do, and this one is still looking at me balefully from the shelf. I have one of those pretty leather editions, too.

  2. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. If GRRM isn't going to finish it any time soon, I'm not sure I want to put my time into starting the series. I am also freaked out by what seems to be a lot of, er, interfamilial relationships.

  3. Dreadnaught (The Lost Fleet:Beyond the Frontier) by Jack Campbell. I read The Lost Fleet by Campbell, and I really enjoy the character of Black Jack Geary, the man revived to lead a war that he finds himself an accidental hero in. Of? Dangling prepositions? Crap. Anyway, I am worried that the neat little arc in The Lost Fleet will bleed out with Black Jack taking on new adventures and fighting new battles.

  4. Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake. I adored Three Dark Crowns, and all of my friends equally adored Anna, so I'm not sure why I'm hesitating.

  5. Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes. Honestly, I just like the cover of this one and it sounds pretty good. I think.

  6. On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington) by David Weber. As a young person in the library, I remember marveling that people read books as long as the Honor Harrington ones. After working my way through a decent amount of military sci-fi, I think she's next on my list.

  7. Can You Forgive Her (Palliser) by Anthony Trollope. I've been meaning to read Trollope for at least a decade and I keep putting it off. I like so many of his quotations out of context that hopefully, I'll like them in context even more!

  8. Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier. I love a good time-travel story. I only pray that this is a good time-travel story.

  9. Over Sea, Under Stone (The Dark Is Rising) by Susan Cooper. I KNOW, OKAY? I HAVEN'T READ THIS. YET.

  10. The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani. This first blipped my radar when I saw it was a twist on the good/evil fairy trope, but after hearing Soman speak at ALA Midwinter and tell the story of his fabulous Auntie Mame-esque grandmother, it really shot up in the rankings. If you want to read more about Soman's grandma, check out his story in Flying Lessons.

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, I hope that you love Dune if you get the chance to read it -- I found out about halfway through that it was definitely not for me, which disappointed me since I hear so many raves about it! I also really want to check out Anna Dressed in Blood and Over Sea, Under Stone! Both sound fantastic, but I just haven't gotten around to them yet. Hope you get a chance to start these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually one that I think I've read the first few pages of at least ten times, found myself daunted by the length, and then put aside. Unsure how it will all go, since, like you said, everyone raves about Dune.

      Delete
  2. Quote:
    "I will always find a way to not do something because I've brainstormed all of the ways it could go horrifically wrong."
    Haha, welcome to the club then. I'm a bit like that too. Well, more than a bit. I suppose it accounts for me not having accomplished any really good thing in life (like a decently paid-for job), so back out of it till you can!

    Anna is a duology...not much sweating, is it? Though I liked Book 1 a lot more than the sequel. The whole dead-girlfriend situation was A TAD too much to swallow. Oh, in case you're wondering - that's not a real spoiler. I'm not saying if they are "dating" or it's a different scenario.

    ReplyDelete