Wednesday, January 25, 2017

What I'm Reading Wednesday

I've made it back from ALAMW and am quite pleased with the results of the YMAs (Youth Media Awards).  That's another post, but now I've got more books to add to my reading list.  Plus, I picked up LOADS of ARCs for summer reading and for myself, and I couldn't help diving into a few of them already.

Plus, there was my usual traveling strategy of reading a Stephen King novel on the plane.  I'm not sure what it is, exactly, but the creeping dread and horror distracts me from other things, like the unholy discomfort of the plane seat, probably designed by a member of the Spanish Inquisition.


Anyway, here's what I'm reading right now (some more actively than others!):




Flying Lessons and Other Stories edited by Ellen Oh.  This is the first anthology from the We Need Diverse Books movement/nonprofit and I was so happy to be able to attend a panel on the genesis of this book.  It's wonderful.


The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey.  I'm almost done with this and I'm actually quite excited to see the film, as I think that the book naturally lends itself to cinema.  Also, I quite like Chloë Moretz.


The Tommyknockers by Stephen King.  Most of the reviews on Goodreads of this are bad, bad, bad.  I've read some awful dreck in my time, so I'm just amused by it.  From what I've heard, this is the last novel he wrote before getting clean and sober, and I would imagine that drugs and alcohol would mess with an author's ability to keep things together.


Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed.  This has been on my to-read list for at least a year, but hearing Saeed speak about her experiences and the background of this novel catapulted it into my active reading list.  That, and the fact that she signed it for me!

And I'm still reading An Ember in the Ashes, Want by Cindy Pon, and Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones.  Just not as actively.  I have to bang through them quickly, though!  So many things to read!  So many wonderful, diverse, lovely books!
SaveSave

2 comments:

  1. Put her in the comfy chair! Prod her with the soft cushions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope!

      Delete