Wednesday, December 28, 2016

My favorite reviews of 2016

This is sinfully self-indulgent: a list of my favorite reviews that I wrote in the past year.  To be quite frank, I find it easier to write a critical review than a gushingly positive one.  This is not out of spite, but due to the fact that as a pessimist, it's difficult for me to praise without sounded hackneyed and silly.  Bless Tumblr and fandom in general for coming up with #allthefeels, because I can just tag my positive reviews with that and you know where I stand.

However, when I'm giving a negative review, I do try very hard to demonstrate why I didn't like the book.  That's not to say you shouldn't read it, or that you can't like it.  Some of my favorite books are ones that my coworkers intensely dislike.

On this list you'll see a mix of positive and negative reviews.  I really enjoyed writing them, and I hope you enjoy reading them.

Ocean of Storms by Christopher Mari and Jeremy K. Brown

Yes, I included this one solely for the gif of Bear from Armageddon.

Sad Perfect by Stephanie Elliot

This book just made me angry, and I was also irritated by the fact that the author and her agent were tweeting me about how I got the book on Edelweiss.  Um, I'm whitelisted for your publisher?  No, I cannot make everyone else whitelisted for your publisher.  That's not how it work.  I am but a lowly blogger/librarian.

Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven

This was actually pretty harrowing to write, because I'm in the minority opinion here.  I think this review made a lot of people upset.  But I'm learning to be okay with that.

The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco

I had such high hopes for this book.  Such high hopes.  HOPES DASHED.

Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerry Maniscalo

Raise a pitchfork for historical inaccuracy sacrificed for zingy, quick-reading chapters.

Batman Vs. Superman as destroyed by Zack Snyder

I obviously had a lot to say about this film, and my family and immediate friends were getting tired of hearing it.  So I put it here.

A Tragic Kind of Wonderful by Eric Lindstrom

PLEASE STOP MAKING MENTAL ILLNESS QUIRKY IN LITERATURE.  CEASE AND DESIST.


2 comments:

  1. Quote:
    "PLEASE STOP MAKING MENTAL ILLNESS QUIRKY IN LITERATURE. CEASE AND DESIST."

    Yes and yes. That's why I'm wary of mental illness books - but Challenger Deep is on my TBR list, and I've got high hopes for it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to read that one. I had an ARC but it's very ... all over the place and kind of hard to follow and I was not in a focused place then. I really want to read it, though.

      Delete