Friday, December 23, 2016

DNF: You Are A Badass



This seemed relatively normal for a pep-talk book.  And heaven knows I need pep talks.  But I don't do well with therapy or affirmations or positive thinking or any of that.  I expected this book to be a bit different.  I mean, it has a curse word in the title.  How woo-woo guru could it be?

You have no idea.



This is nothing different from any other self-help book out there.  I was looking for something positive that would boost my self-esteem.  Something funny.  This is funny, but not funny ha-ha.

From the get go, Sincero (honestly, is that her real name?) asks you to just believe in the power of her book.  Because it changes lives!!!  She no longer lives in a crappy apartment because all she did was BELIEVE that she didn't have to live in a crappy apartment.  But that's not all--she got over her aversion to the notion of a higher power, and thinks that a Source Energy (insert your deity of choice here) gives you the power to make yourself awesome.  Or at least rich, since that is a huge part of the book, from what I noticed in skimming.  It is super important to make six figures and drive a fancy car and eat fancy food and travel the world, because money makes you SOOOO HAPPEEEEEEEE!!!



I don't believe that.  At all.  That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

But wait!  The only way to get ALL THE MONEY and drive fauncy cars is to make sure that your vibrational energy is really high, because then The Universe (caps necessary!) will "rise up" to match your vibrational energy with its own vibrations.



I'm sorry, am I on drugs?  Is this author on drugs?  Are all the people who think this book is so amazing ON DRUGS???

I guess if you like this sort of thing, you'll ... like this thing.  If your idea of reality does not include taking out a personal loan to buy a BMW because that will motivate you to get a good job, then you should probably skip this.  Even if it does have a vaguely quirky title.


4 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, I feel the exact same way about this book. I also DNF'd this one because I just could not take it seriously and get through it. So many things annoyed me, which was disappointing because I actually had heard pretty good things about it. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO glad to hear that it's not just me!!!

      Delete
  2. I'm not really into self-help books anyway, and this one sounds like one I would have put down before the end of Chapter 1! You know, there was one of our politicians who informed us that the poor were just not trying because really, it was simple: you should just get a good job that pays well and you'll be fine. Do you think he's read this book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I don't usually invoke the "because SCIENCE" argument, but my sitting on my tuckus and thinking REALLY HARD about being rich/having a fancy car/having a well-paying job is not going to make *waves hands* The Universe just give it to me. My brain is not connected to some benevolent job-granting energy source (and I'm not even talking about God. I don't think God (if you believe in God or a god) spends time giving people BMWs).

      OTOH that is a very politician-y thing to say. Oy.

      Delete