Wednesday, November 23, 2016

What I'm Reading Wednesday

I have approximately 90 billion ARCs to read, plus I want to challenge myself to do backlist reviews in December, so I'm completely all over the map when it comes to reading this week.  Here's what I'm reading right now:



The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden.  This is beautifully written.  I'm taking it slowly, savoring it.



A Drop of Night by Stefan Bachmann.  To be frank, I am very confused about this.  At first I thought it was a a less romance-y version of A Conspiracy of Us (which had a good premise, but too much love angst), and this pleased me.  Then it turned into Indiana Jones with killer rooms and stuff but built during the French Revolution by a mad noble dude trying to escape the guillotine.  Whaaaat?  I have to keep reading to see what happens, though.



City of Light, City of Poison by Holly Tucker.  This is a fun, if slighlty uneven, pop history/crime book.  Part of my ennui may be just that I spent A LOT OF TIME in college studying the reign of Louis XIV and his many, many, many lady friends, so rehashing it is a bit exhausting.  However, the sheer amount of poison in this book is ridiculous.



Bad Romance by Heather Demetrios.  I just started this one, but I have high expectations for a book about a toxic, controlling relationship.  Hopefully I will like it more than The Girl Who Fell by Shannon Parker.



The Wages of Sin by Kaite Walsh.  Ok, historical mystery people: get this one on your list now.  I'm turning pages like a fiend, not least because of the fantastic protagonist/heroine and oodles of dead bodies.


Undertow by Michael Buckley.  My last audiobook, Rotters by Dan Kraus, came back to the library.  The book, while beautifully written, was also relentlessly brutal.  That's just not something I can handle right now.  I thought Undertow would be less dark, but we're already into segregation and hate crimes.  I cannot escape it.







No comments:

Post a Comment