Saturday, October 15, 2016

I'm Not Here

I haven't been writing because I can't seem to finish a book.  And when I do, the anxiety that washes over me when I even think about opening up a blank page to fill with text is completely  overwhelming.

Lately, stress at work has been ... well, something else.  Working with the public is always going to be stressful.  And I chose it, because I want to help people.  That's why people should become librarians--it doesn't matter how much you love books or how big of a fangirl/boy you are: you have to love people.  At the same time, you have to realize that a lot of that care is going to be one-sided.  And then there are people who really don't like what you do.

Because what you do is promote the right to read widely and diversely.  You provide people who might not have anywhere else to go with a place to be safe.  You step up when the world seems to be falling apart.

But some people look at your assistance and your advocacy and they don't want it.  In fact, they hate it.  If I've learned nothing else this year it's that humans have an unbelievable capacity for hate.

Hooray, 2016.

1 comment:

  1. I know where you're coming from. And unlike you, I have a small enthusiastic bunch who know me and I know them and the option if simply letting the others play games or use the computers.

    But as you say, work with the public is always going to be stressful. The best thing, for now, is to reread for comfort.

    ReplyDelete