Wednesday, September 21, 2016

What I'm Reading Wednesday

I finally got through that giant pile of books and have moved on to the next giant pile of books.  What, you think I'd change?





First up is I Am Providence by Nick Mamatas.  This is hilarious and slightly sinister.  Think Bimbos of the Death Sun meets Lovecraft.


The Rains by Gregg Hurwitz.  I'll be straight with you: I probably won't finish this.  Is it creepy?  Yes.  Gross?  Oh, yes.  It's also completely ridiculous and has a boy with a "Native American nickname."  Noooooo.

The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel.  The Ivy duology made quite a splash when it came out last year, and I've been meaning to pick it up.  If it's anything as twisted and messed up as The Roanoke Girls, I will be pleased.  Wow.


When The Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore.  This is a book I shall need to carve out a block of time for and just read.  It's so lyrical--I don't want to miss any of it.  Something about it recalls The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender.


Under A Painted Sky by Stacey Lee.  Westerns are really coming back, aren't they?


Vassa in the Night by Sarah Porter.  So far, this is lyrical and wonderfully weird.  Excellent.

5 comments:

  1. Bimbos of the Death Dun Meets Lovecraft? What, a bunch of weird creatures invade a science fiction convention and eat the irritating guest of honour? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, kind of? He's an irritating author ... I was trying to explain the book to a coworker who has read neither Bimbos nor Lovecraft and she seemed concerned.

      Delete
  2. On the remote chance you haven't read Charles Stross's Laundry novels, I do recommend them. Lovecraft type creatures are trying to invade our world and our only protection is a branch of the British Civil Srvice known as the Laundry. Very funny, even when it's grim...

    I have a battered copy of Bimbos I bought secondhand, and have read another McCrumb mystery centred around SF fans, only this time it's a unch of writers who buried their stories in a time capsule. Twenty years later, they're back to dig it up before the valley is flooded and the only one of them who ever made it as a writer is now suffering dementia - and witnessed a murder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've read the first three Laundry Files books! I'm so behind on them, though. They're hilarious.

      Delete
    2. I loved the Jesus Phone, with apps that Apple never added to it! And just read the blurb of I Am Providence and you're right! It really IS Bimbos Of The Death Sun! Okay, off to iBooks to acquire a copy.

      Delete