Saturday, July 2, 2016

Oh, Fudge!

As a child, I was an extremely picky reader.  My mom had to argue with me to force me to try something new.  I was very much a comfort-zone reader.  I had my Thoroughbred books and my Animorphs, and I figured that anything outside of that was dumb and boring.  Most of the classic or well-rated children's books remained unread until I became a children's librarian.

I was vaguely aware of the existence of the Fudge books by Judy Blume, but as I had already read Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, I erroneously and bizarely concluded that the Fudge books were "for boys."

Grown up me is rolling her eyes at small me.

Because these books are amazing and hilarious and I deeply regret not reading them as a child.  At least I am atoning for that literary sin by reading them now.

I don't often laugh out loud while reading children's books, but Blume had me in stitches.  I'm on book four of the series now, and I wish there were more of them.

If you haven't read them, go forth!  Read!  Discover Fudge and Pee-tah (which ALWAYS makes me think of Peeta Mallark!) and Sheila and Tootsie!  If you've read them, go back and read them again.  Librarian's orders.

2 comments:

  1. She's still around, you know, and lurking online. It's nice to go back to a childhood favourite and find you still love it, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I grow up, I want to be as awesome as Judy Blume.

      Delete