Pop culture and other non-alliterative stuff to write about on a Tuesday

Librarians are well-known for their addiction to alliteration.  Look, I just did it, and I didn't even have to think twice!  It just happens!  It's like when you enroll in grad school for your MLIS, they take you to a secret location and inject you with a serum that subtly shifts your writing to a more alliterative style.

Maybe I've been watching too much Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (which, by the way, is an absolute bear to type out).

I wanted to chat a bit about my pop culture emotions today but it's Tuesday and I couldn't think of a good alliterative word that meant "the Avengers and other stuff too."  I mean, I could do Thorsday, but to be quite frank, I could live without Thor.  Loki, though ... no.  I need Loki in my life.

I am the kind of person who takes almost everything personally.  This is unfortunate and something I am trying to remedy, but when you've been doing it for almost three decades, that stuff is embedded in your psyche.  I have this issue where I take whatever happens in movies personally.  It affects my mood to a ridiculous degree.  If someone dies in a movie, my soul is crushed.  When two characters I like have a fight, I have this massive anxiety attack even though it literally has nothing to do with me.
So even though I enjoy films set in the MCU, I have no desire to see Captain America: Civil War.  I want a fun superhero movie that lets me turn my mind off a little bit, not agonize over some of my favorite characters having this beatdown brawl about not agreeing with each other.  Now, I am probably the least knowledgeable Marvel fan ever because I pick and choose the comics I read (i.e. mostly just the funny ones).  Having said that, I don't feel that Tony Stark as portrayed in the films (comic Tony Stark is a totally different basket of Downey kittens) would be the kind of guy to accept the Superhero Registration Act.  Yes, I know that his reasoning is that if they support the SRA now, they avoid the risk of harsher legislation in the future.  I get it.  But that's comics Tony.  Movie Tony Stark is a devil-may-care snark machine who is reliable with the LADIES!


 Okay, just Pepper now but ... whatever.  He's got charm dialed up to eleven, and just because he shut down his own company's weapons manufacturing systems because they were being used for Evil Purposes does not, in my mind, automatically put him on the straight and narrow.  This is an argument I have heard.

I just honestly cannot believe that Tony Stark would go up against Cap, his bro, over a law.  Over a chick?  Sure.  Over superheroes needing to dial it down a little?  Not exactly.  And I know that this has already happened in the Marvelverse and that's where the screenwriters are getting it--but I ask why this story arc?  Why Civil War?  Because we need to tone down the joy of superhero movies by turning them against one another?

The other beef I have with the Civil War storyline in an Avengers movie is that it's so derivative of one of the X-Men's main story arcs, the MRA.  Just realized that those initials are bad whenever they are used.  Hm.  Anyhoodles, being the the X-Men are part of the Marvelverse and participated in the original Civil War, having this quasi-disembodied Civil War: Avengers Version feels like we aren't in the MCU but the MCU: Avengers and the MCU: X-Men.  Granted, the X-Men films generally suck, and I really only like Hugh Jackman, but then again, I am just not an X-Men fangirl.  There are so many of them!  So many side-switches and bad 80s costumes!

So right now I'm contenting myself with watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and marveling (sorry!  no pun intended, I swear) at Ming-Na Wen's unrivaled awesomeness.

Other pop-culture-y things: we are doing Star Wars Day on (when else) May the Fo(u)rth!  I'm super excited for this because we have the best Admiral Ackbar craft and it's NOT a trap.  I also have a Nerf gun styled on Rey's blaster, so, good times should be had.

Right now, I don't feel like reading very much.  I'm read-out.  I think I need a very silly thriller to jolt me back into gear: the kind with muscle-bound ex-soldiers and lost civilizations and/or aliens and/or mutant wildlife.  Maybe a giant shark book.  Those are always good for a laugh.

That also reminds me that I haven't watched Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! and I think it's on Netflix.

I'm off in search of corn syrup blood and happy Steve Rogers and Loki.  Yum.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts