Wednesday, March 16, 2016

What I'm Reading Wednesday

This week, I'm on a monster kick.  There were several books I completely and fully intended to read before going to C2E2 and seeing their authors on panels, but I didn't.  So.


The Girl with All the Gifts is still squicking me out in a most wonderful way.  I keep making the mistake of reading this while eating and I generally find my appetite diminished.  Alas, this is not permanent, for later on I end up compensating by eating copious amounts of ridiculously unhealthy yet delicious things, like Cheddar Jalapeno Cheetos.  Melanie, the protagonist, reminds me of someone in a book I've already read, but in a good way.  I'm thinking it was either The Stand or Carrion Comfort or The Passage.


This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab.  The library's order of A Gathering of Shadows has been delayed, and so while I and my pounding heart wait for further adventures of Kell and Lila, I picked up this, her newest YA book.  I love, love, love the setting, and I think I can safely say I'd read anything and everything Schwab writes.  One thing I really appreciate is that she makes monsters ugly and frightening, not sparkly and sexy.

I think I'm going to give up on Julia Vanishes by Catherine Egan, but I'll flip ahead a bit to see if things get any more interesting.  Also: could they have come up with a more milquetoast title?  For heaven's sake.  It sounds like an adult thriller, not a YA magical mystery dystopia.


No comments:

Post a Comment