Wednesday, March 9, 2016

What I'm Reading Wednesday

So I've slogged to the bit where Pip gets apprenticed to Joe and is a total dork about it.  I'm finding my impediment to Great Expectations is not Dickens' writing, which is as funny as ever, but my own mental prejudice against Pip.  Jerk.

Other things I'm reading:


Girl About Town by Adam Shankman and Laura L. Sullivan.  I probably won't be finishing this one, but I'd like to give it a few more pages to see if the promised Nick and Nora comedy ever appears.


Dangerous Deceptions by Sarah Zettel.  I am determined to finish this one this time.  I keep checking it out, forgetting I have it, and then returning it to the library.


The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey.  I was gobsmacked (in a good way) to realize that M.R. Carey is actually Mike Carey of Unwritten.  This is going to be good.


Julia Vanishes by Catherine Egan.  I haven't read enough of this to feel much of anything.  At least so far.  We shall see.


The Unmapped Sea by Maryrose Wood (on audiobook).  Lord Frederick Ashton is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters!  What a topsy-turvy world!


Red by Liesl Shurtliff.  Someday I'll get around to reading Rump.  But a magically-awkward Red Riding Hood?  Yes and please and thank you!




2 comments:

  1. Agreed, Pip is a jerk. A lot of people think so. I suspect that's the whole point. He eventually grows up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the same time, I feel kind of bad for disliking him so as I know Dickens based a lot of this book on his own experiences.
    Joe Gargery is so far my favorite character.

    ReplyDelete