Wednesday, January 13, 2016

What I'm Reading Wednesday

I need to just take everything I'm not reading back to the library and start anew.  I've almost maxed out my card (!!!), which, when you have magpie book syndrome, it's really hard to OOH LOOK SHINY NEW BOOK finish ones you checked out weeks ago.


At night, I've been reading a few chapters from A Darker Shade of Magic.  Dimension-hopping fantasy is my kind of bedtime story.


On a whim, I started Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, because I just cannot resist a sprawling end-of-the-world story.  And boy, is this sprawling!  For me, having a list of characters in the front of the book is always a good thing, as are maps.  I have learned more than I ever wished to know about the topography of the San Bernardino Valley in this book--and I'm only halfway through!


During my lunch break, I started The Jakarta Pandemic which has been on my TBR for ages.  I'm not sure why, exactly.  I can't even promise that I'll finish--I had no idea how irritating Prepper thinking was until reading this.  There is the dim hope that once everyone gets sick I'll hear less about how goshdang prepared this ex-Marine is for THE END OF THE WORLD.  Le sigh.


Meandering through the beginning of Great Expectations, I can see why I couldn't get into it as a teen.  Pip is already starting to irritate me, and this pleases me in a strange way.


Finally, I ALSO started The Name of the Rose which I've had on my Kindle for ages--I got it for free one day.  Again, this is a book I picked up in my teens but was put off by the excessive Latin.  My cheapo version does not have the full translations, but between Italian and French, I'm working through it.


3 comments:

  1. Don't worry, you're not the only one to be irritated by Pip. Actually, I think Dickens meant him to be that way. He does learn, eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I know what you mean about shiny new book. At least you can return them to the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Dickens' more ambiguous characters, neither kind nor wicked, neither charming nor hateful, are his best. Like Oliver himself is rather dull, but Nancy is a fascinating character.

    ReplyDelete