What I'm Reading Wednesday

Holy bagumba, you guys!  This is the last #WIRW for 2015!  Maybe next year I'll get around to making it a pretty banner or moving to Wordpress or all those tech things I tell myself I'll do and then go ehhhhhhh, I'd rather read this book instead.  Goals, people.

One goal for 2016 is to finish Les Misérables.  I finally made it through the Battle of Waterloo, which I swear is 10% of the whole stinking book.  It's excessively detailed, and expects you to know/care about all of the French generals AND all the Allied generals and care about where they were on the map at what time of day, etc.  There will be a further rant about this in my full review of the book, but it really takes away from Hugo's excellent writing about his characters.  I'm reading the French version, which slows me down a bit.

Other things I'm reading:


Cress by Marissa Meyer.  I've been sort-of reading this for a week, in that I read the first page and was like, "COOL" and then I had other things I needed to do for work, TSU, etc.  I read more during a weird insomnia attack last night and feel right back into that world I love.  I feel like I should re-read the first two, though.


A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab.  I'm only four chapters in, but this is brilliant.


The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness.  This is definitely going to be a a love-it-or-hate-it book for most people.  Personally, I think it's hilarious and I can't wait to see where he takes it.


Comments

  1. I've read the Ness book. I thought it wonderful. But it isn't quite as funny as the premise implies. It's not intended to be. Just so you know and don't get disappointed when you aren't having a laugh a page. The humour is gentle, not laugh out loud. Here is a link to my review in case you're curious: http://suebursztynski.blogspot.com.au/2015/10/just-finished-reading-rest-of-us-just.html
    Of course, you may be the sort of reader who wants to avoid reading other reviews before the book. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Please, please don't go to Wordpress! I find it way too confusing to use, if all you want is to write reviews and paste some images. I had a go at setting up a Wordpress blog and believe me, it wasn't worth the hassle. And I couldn't follow you any more, except maybe by email. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I see now you're already reading and enjoying to Ness book. Please proceed and let us know what you think when you finish. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the subtlety of the humor is what I am liking the most about the book!

    The wordpress thing will probably never happen because a) blogger is easy and b) embedding GIFs on WP is a royal pain and c) I am lazy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and if you haven't read any other Ness, The Ask and the Answer is really good but tread carefully if you are a dog lover. A Monster Calls made me bawl. Seriously. I still have to read More Than This.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts