Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015 in Books: The Post That Everyone Does and I'm Going to Do Too, So There

So, it's that whole end-of-the-year thing, where people stand in ridiculous crowds in New York City to watch a spangly fire hazard go down a pole, or drink way too much champagne, or just plain not care that it's New Year's Anything.  In booklandia and libraryland, it also means that it is round up time.  This is as close as I'll ever get to being an actual cowgirl.

Without further ado, my top twelve books of 2015 in absolutely no order whatsoever, because that is, frankly, impossible:

I Crawl Though It by A.S. King.  So achingly brilliant that I wanted to cry.  It's easier to swallow the truth when it's wearing surrealist garments.  Or chocolate.  But a chocolate book would be a disaster.

The Death and Life of Zebulon Finch by Daniel Kraus.  An epic masterpiece, and I don't say that very often.  Ever?

Nimona by Noelle Stevenson.  I'M A SHAAARK!  I need Nimona merch stat, please and thank you.

Dumplin' by Julie Murphy.  Not only a smart, funny, and exceedingly well-written book, but a book that we, as a society, desperately needed.

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff.  Mind=blown.  This is multimedia storytelling at its finest, and some of the best sci-fi I've ever read.  Yes, I'm saying straight up sci-fi, no "YA" qualifier in there at all.

MARTians by Blythe Woolston.  One jigger of post-apocalyptic decay, one jigger of satire at consumerism's expense, 3 dashes of despair, served neat in a scavenged red Solo cup.  Brilliant.

Believarexic by J.J. Johnson.  This one joins Wintergirls to make the two YA books I would recommend about eating disorders, because they are honest, real, and unflinchingly honest.

Rat Queens Vol 1 & 2 by Kurtis Wiebe.  All hail our heavy-drinking, smack-talking, sexytimes-having fantasy girl gang!

The Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow.  This should be the new standard in YA post-apocalyptic sci-fi.  Heck, the new standard for YA, period.

Bone Gap by Laura Ruby.  Magical realism in the middle of nowhere, Illinois.  If this doesn't win an award, I don't know what I'll do with myself.

All the Rage by Courtney Summers.  #tothegirls: you are worth our respect, our time, and our love.  #tothegirls: you weren't "asking for it."  #tothegirls: this is your book.

Delicate Monsters by Stephanie Kuehn.  I don't know if I'd want to be in Ms. Kuehn's headspace, since it churns out consistently dark, twisted, and fearless YA, but it's also a national treasure.

That's it for 2015.  Thank goodness  Catch you on the flip side.



3 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of them and only heard of the Kaufman book and that's because she's a local writer and I bought a copy for the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff were Australian until I started seeing tweets from them at really odd times ... :D It's seriously amazing. The size can be intimidating but it's not all text.

    The peril of reading reviews is that your reading list gets ridiculously long! Mine is .... well, it's super long.

    ReplyDelete