Wednesday, September 23, 2015

What I'm Reading Wednesday

I'm in a bit of a reading slump--all the awesome books I've read lately are making it hard for other books to measure up!  These are the ones that have held my interest this week:


Dead Wake by Erik Larson.  I will read anything Larson writes.  ANYTHING.  He is the standard to which I hold all other narrative non-fiction.  Because he's freaking amazing.


A Pocket Full of Murder by R.J. Anderson.  I needed a good MG fantasy, and this looked like it would fit the bill perfectly.  So far, we have magic baked inside cookies.  I'm sold.  Om nom nom.


The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes.  It's no secret (at least not intentionally) that I love Barnes' The Naturals series.  I'm too lazy and cheap to keep up with TV shows (or, for that matter, own a TV), so these bookish crime titles are perfect for me!  I used to love watching Criminal Minds (love Mandy Patinkin!) and Bones (before it got all The Feelz).  The Fixer has been compared to Scandal, which I haven't seen, but Kerry Washington is a goddess, so I'm all in with this one.

What are you reading this week?  Should I start watching Scandal???

4 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with the TV shows you mention, but I've read several of the Kathy Reichs novels on which Bones is based. They're great fun if you don't mind the standard theme in which the heroine finds herself in a room with the villain, who snarls,"You interfering bitch! I'll kill you for this!" But the author does know what she's talking about, being a forensic scientist herself, and she's done a series of enjoyable YA fantasy adventure novels about Tempe Brennan's niece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try those out! I don't mind a good formulaic novel if it's a lot of fun!

      Delete
  2. PS I did a panel with RJ Anderson at a Melbourne SF convention, lovely lady. I've bought one of her novels in ebook and am enjoying it - the idea of synaesthesia as a fantasy thing appealed to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, was that Ultraviolet! I really liked that one! Synesthesia is fascinating to me, and she did it really well in the book.

      Delete