Books I DNFd

“Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.” -- Sir Frances Bacon

I find it exceedingly amusing that it's a food metaphor, and his last name was Bacon.  Yes, I have a juvenile sense of humor, and I find it suits me wonderfully.  

I recently culled my to-read list to under 1,000 books.  Goodreads has this irritating habit of duplicating titles when I enter to win them in giveaways, so I tried to clean that up.  But still, wow.  I have so many books I want to read, or at least begin.  I want to give them a chance.  These are some books that I recently attempted to read but which, for some reason or another, didn't click with me, and I had to make the decision to move on.




Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone.  See my more in-depth review here.  I was going to just write a quick rundown here, but I realized that I needed to vent.  Hence, a venting review.



The Murderer's Daughter by Jonathan Kellerman.  I used to read Faye Kellerman (JK's wife)'s Lazarus and Decker books until they got so sexual that I couldn't read them.  Things got gross and gratuitous.  However, this title was pitched as a standalone thriller by Netgalley, so I figured, "Why not?"  First of all, this wasn't a thriller.  It was a weird character study of a girl born into tough circumstances who pulled herself up by her bootstraps (sigh) and became a successful psychiatrist.  There is the question of her nighttime nymphomania with ultra-gross descriptions ... but hey, someone's gotta solve a murder, and it might as well be Grace.  

I actually recoiled from some of Kellerman's descriptions of Grace.  She's not pretty, but she's got boobs for days and a "mane" of luscious hair and she runs around like Sharon Stone with no underwear.  There was also this weird flashback where Grace ran around naked in a forest and saw a mountain lion and thought it was super sexy.  No.  Way.



Eden by Candice Fox.  I first saw the US cover of this title on Twitter, and it looked sort of like a woman trying to escape something/someone.  Then, I got the email from Netgalley saying "You have to read this if you liked The Girl on the Train"!  So I snagged myself a copy.  First of all, I was dumb and didn't do my due diligence.  This is second in a series, and it's almost like the author can't help but talk--elliptically, mind you--about what happened in the first book in every other paragraph.  I read 20% of my ARC and nothing had really *happened* except for the initial shocker chapter.  There was nothing particularly gripping about the prose or the characters.  I looked like this: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 



The Peddler's Road by Matthew Cody.  I enjoy the darkness of the Pied Piper story (okay, actually all of the Grimm stories are wonderfully dark and gruesome), but for me, it wasn't sufficiently fleshed out in this book.  You need to really work on the evil aspects of the story (kidnapping, ransoming, that poor kid being left behind, people with no kids) to do a good retelling.  This one is basically like, "La-la-la, MYSTERIOUS manuscript of REAL Pied Piper story, now let's go to Evil Neverland."  The characters are flat despite desperate attempts to give them character.  Does the author realize that for pink hair dye from a box to take, you need to lift the base color first?  Sigh.  Plus, this is being dragged out into a trilogy, so an already-sagging tale gets even limper.

I think I'll go read another Adam Dalgliesh mystery now.  British murder mysteries are quite soothing.  Must be all the tea.   

Comments

Popular Posts