Monday, July 6, 2015

Should I stay or should I go? (guitar chords 8x)

Actually, I'm not going anywhere (physically).  I'm talking about this book.

I'm not sure how big it's going to be in physical format, but The Death and Live of Zebulon Finch, Vol. 1 has been kicking my butt.  I am not a marathon runner.  Actually, I'm not a runner at all.  When the raptors/zombies/choose your own apocalyptic creatures take over the world, I'll be the first to fall because OW CRAMP!

Plus, I think running is pretty boring.  Unless you live somewhere exceedingly scenic, you're just moving yourself along for miles and miles.  I guess people get into a zone or something.  For me, that's the twilight zone.  I like dancing and biking and hiking.  I like doing my weightlifting and knowing that if I had to, I could probably pick someone up who weighs as much as I do.  I know that doesn't seem especially stunning but for someone with scoliosis and sciatica, I think my DLs are pretty good.

Reading Zebulon Finch is like doing an Ironman on top of Mount Everest.  I see no end in sight.  Perhaps it's because I have an e-ARC and I've been creeping along the progress bar for over a month. Then again, maybe the book is just really, really long.  Long books are great (see: Anna Karenina, The Baroque Cycle, Bleak House) but they have to have some sort of scenic variation, if you will.  Zebulon Finch is like, "Hi, I'm a dead jerk.  Hi, still dead.  Would you like a sample of my non-necrotizing-but-still-totally-not-alive tissue?"  all the time.  All the time.

What I've read is extremely well-written--Dan Kraus excels at the macabre and clearly has a thing for dead people (no, you filthy-minded wretch!  Not like that!)--but also monotonous.

However, I feel like I've invested an insane amount of time in this and to quit now would be a waste, somehow.  What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I am ruthless with walking away from books and cutting down TBR lists so my answer here is the one I always give: walk away. Life is too short for books you don't love. If you know enough to recommend it and talk about it, you've done your bit. If you think you might want to continue the series later you can always hunt down a recap or try to re-read when the next volume comes out.

    ReplyDelete