Wednesday, March 18, 2015

What I'm Reading Wednesday

Heavy on the middle grade books here (hooray!).

The Balance Keepers: The Fires of Calderon by Lindsay Cummings:  I enjoyed, but didn't adore, Cummings' YA debut The Murder Complex, but that was more because of some genre issues than anything.  She's a very good writer and this has had a really engaging start.

Flights and Chimes and Mysterious Times by Emma Trevayne: Look, any time you add "inium" on the end of anything, I'm pretty much on board.  So portaling to an alternate version of London?  Yes, please, and thank you.


Stolen Magic by Gail Carson Levine: It's horrible that I remember very little about A Tale of Two Castles besides "I really liked it," but I snatched up this sequel at ALA Midwinter like you wouldn't believe.  It's taking me a bit to get back into it, but Levine is always enjoyable.


And now for something completely different:

Empire of Sin: A Story of Sex, Jazz, Murder, and the Battle for Modern New Orleans by Gary Trist: I mentioned the other day that the only nonfiction titles that I read for pleasure are cookbooks and historical crime.  I'm only a few chapters into this but already there's been a double homicide and a madam trying to go respectable.  Yes!


No comments:

Post a Comment