Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Cat Dad, King of the Goblins

Cat Dad, King of the GoblinsCat Dad, King of the Goblins by Britt Wilson
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I'd like to think I have a decent sense of humor, and that I'm open to lots of different kinds of books. When I read about Cad Dad, King of the Goblins in a journal, I knew I had to read it. It seemed just like the kind of zany I love in my graphic novels and comics.

Maybe I didn't have enough coffee this morning, or maybe I'm just old and crotchety, but this did nothing for me. I love that the story features POC without making a big deal out of it. However, I'm a bit confused as to a) why there's an anthropomorphic frog hanging out at the house, and b) how Mom's yoga practices lead to magical feline transformations.

The basic story is the Mom turns dad into a cat, who runs into the closet, which is being used to house Mom's garden because goblins like to mess with it (yes, it is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside). The goblins capture dad and make him king, while the two sisters and their froggy friend get lost in the goblin caves, conveniently capture dad, and return in triumph.

It's a story that would have benefited from a bit more fleshing out. The art was also a bit confusing. In one panel, we see the goblins carrying an animal crate. The panel shows three crates. Evidently, this represents them carrying it forward. This should have been split into three panels so it doesn't look like there's three cats, you know? Also, the size of Dad the Magical Cat changes drastically throughout the comic and I don't know why.

I don't know who I'd recommend this to or even why. It's by no means the worst thing I've read, but I feel let down.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment