What I'm Reading Wednesday

The Ghosts of Heaven by Marcus Sedgwick.  I've not yet found a book by Sedgwick that I've liked; however, he seems like a lovely person, so I feel like a jerk being too harsh.  I was, shall we say, violently disappointed in the choice of Midwinterblood for last year's Printz.  I tried it and I hated it.  Sedgwick likes to play with narrative and with history, so this latest offering isn't wholly unexpected.  It's a story told by four stories, which can be read in any order the reader wishes.  I have an e-ARC, so I'm just going in order.  Right now I am teetering on this strange precipice of enjoying it or hating it.  I'll report back.





The Fire Chronicle by John Stephens.  This is the sequel to The Emerald Atlas, which I read a few years ago and just loved, but I honestly don't remember that much about it!  I'm finding it a bit hard to jump back into the storyline here, but it's slowly coming back.  Old brain cells.

Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones.  I guess this is the sequel to Howl's Moving Castle, but I'm not seeing it yet.  So far, so charming, though.  As is usually the case with this author.

Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White.  I started this with a bang and now I'm afraid to keep reading because I'm afraid I'll not like it or, as Mr. Darcy did with Elizabeth, like it against my better judgement.  Kiersten White has a great sense of humor, though, and that is too often missing in YA novels that aren't explicitly marketed as comedic.

Comments

Popular Posts