Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Time management and other important skills I don't really have

This is my third review of the night.  Because this book, Manage Your Day to Day, is sitting on my coffee table, glaring at me, I'm being productive.  I'm not entirely sure that my productivity is also creative, which is a major point of this book--indeed, the subtitle is: Build Your Routine, Find Your Focus, & Sharpen Your Creative Mind--but I am writing.  It's like NaNoWriMo but the wussy blogger's version.


I believe I requested this book from the library because of a blog called The Private Life of a Girl, which is one of my new favorites.  The author of the blog is very unlike me in that she doesn't work at a 9-5, but I love her aesthetic and point of view.  Her photographs are also artfully composed, and the typography is great (look at how giant of a nerd I am!).  In an attempt to focus my scattered mind, I took her recommendation to heart and put this book on reserve.

I'm not at all familiar with 99u, the website/organization with which this is associated, and I didn't particularly like the upsell of all the contributing authors' work, but I did find some really great advice here.  It's a short book, and some essays are better than others, as is always true in a compilation, but it's given me a lot to think about when it comes to my work process and email, which is evidently ruining my brain.  Crap.

I particularly liked this quote from Scott Belsky: "If your focus is always on others--and quenching your appetite for information and external validation--you will miss out on the opportunity to mine the potential of your own mind."  I raise my hand guiltily.  This is my problem with social networks.  I enjoy them, but I feel anxious if nobody likes my post or favorites my tweet.  Conversely, if someone responds to my tweet or reblogs my tumblr post, I feel a strange sense of elation.  This should not be what validates me, my work, and my potential.  I'm not going to stop using social media completely, but I am going to engage much more thoughtfully and self-reflectively (is that a word?) when I log on.

There are some great ideas here in among some of the more out there or platitude-ridden essays, so it's worth a look.  But please, whoever thought it would be a fantastic design element to print white text on tomato red paper should seriously reevaluate his or her chosen profession.  It made my eyes want to explode and die.

2 comments:

  1. You have such an interesting blog. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading your posts. All the best for your future blogging journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sridhar,
    Thanks so much! I really enjoy writing the posts too!

    ReplyDelete