Sunday, October 19, 2014

Mini Review of Princess of Thorns

I managed a whopping 9% of this before I gave up ... well, I had to read the ending first, right?

This book and I just didn't get along.  A lot of other people loved it, so maybe I'm just really harsh.  Sometimes, though, harshness must be the way of the librarian, because the librarian has eleventy-billion books to read, and many must be ruthlessly culled.


From the title, you'd guess it's a retelling of Sleeping Beauty.  Well, sort of.  Here's the lowdown: the Sleeping Beauty was awakened by a guy named Stephen who was already married (okay, so that's better than one of the original tellings where she was only awakened by childbirth because the prince had raped her in her sleep instead).  Stevie kept his two wives separate because his first wife was barren and his own stepmother was an ogre.  Rose and her twins, Jor and Aurora, are kind of randomly sentenced to death by the ogre queen, but not before Rose bestows a fairy gift on Aurora.  This part was weird, because Sleeping Beauty received fairy gifts, but was not herself a fairy, so how could she give Aurora a gift?  Anyway, fast forward, and Aurora is masquerading as a boy while Jor lives on the other side of the world.  They can never meet because then ... Bad Things Will Happen or something.  I don't even know.  Prince Niklaas, also of a cursed family, comes along and frees her from some bandit-type people, all the while thinking she is her brother Jor.  We all know what will happen: they will have adventures and she will reveal that she is a girl but they will be in love and they will defeat the ogre queen yay!

At least I'm pretty sure that's what happens.  I didn't get that far.  I do know that the love story is a definite go, however.  It was my utter misfortune to happen upon this line near the end of the book: "Niklaas and I set about deflowering each other with as much tender enthusiasm as I had expected."  "Deflowering each other?"  Girl, what?  That sentence is just all kinds of weird.  Ew.  That is the least romantic, least alluring, least ... anything positive description I could have read about that experience.

I received an ARC of this title from Netgalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment