Wednesday, August 20, 2014

What I'm Reading Wednesday

As I admitted on Twitter earlier today, I misread someone's blog post tag of #WoW as meaning World of Warcraft, which made exactly zero sense in the context of the blog.

Then I realized, "Oh.  It's Wednesday."  Then I decided that people need to pick an acronym and stick with it, so as not to confuse those of us who are currently under the influence of allergy medications.

I've been on vacation for the past two days.  I refuse to use the word "staycation" except as I have just used it, as an example of a word I will not use to refer to my life.  The point is, I wasn't anywhere in particular, except at home, doing necessary things like cooking, grocery shopping, making brownies (very necessary!), buying new gym shoes because mine are ripping at the seams, and so forth.  I also cleaned out my closet and deemed myself most productive.  I also experienced a violent attack of sneezing, sinus-slamming, and eye itchiness every time I set foot out of doors.  Hoo-ragweed!

I expected to read a lot more than I did on my days off.  I actually read very little, and what I did read was not with the intent of finishing a book, but rather starting yet another one!  In addition to the ever-present Count of Monte Cristo (in which I have made progress, I assure you!  Things are getting verrrry devious now!), I am currently reading:

The Girl From the Well by Rin Chupeco.  Some bloggers and book reviewers didn't like this one because of the writing style.  I think it's very well done and I've noticed no strange formatting or structuring (possibly because I'm still reading the e-ARC, oopsies).  It's wonderfully spooky and I love the ghost's narrative voice!

Killer Instinct by Jennifer Lynn Barnes.  This is the second book in a series; the first one was The Naturals, which is basically like a teen Lie to Me meets Criminal Minds.  It's a really well-done thriller for the age group, and Killer Instinct totally sucked me back into Barnes' fictional group of teens with hypersensitive crime-fighting abilities.

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.  I think I got this one from Amazon's First Reads program, but I'm not sure if I'm loving it or not.  Also, what's with the title formula "The girl + preposition + place"?  Very popular nowadays, it seems.

The Best American Mystery Stories of the Nineteenth Century, edited by Otto Penzler.  This is a very long book (over 600 pages--although I am reading it as an e-ARC so that may change a bit in physical format) of which few of the stories really seem necessary.  I am not ashamed to admit that I skimmed some of them, but others (so far) have been rather extraordinary.  As always, anthologies are a mixed bag.

You Can Date Girls When You're Forty by Dave Barry.  Dave Barry read Fifty Shades of Grey so I didn't have to.  You, sir, are a national treasure.


No comments:

Post a Comment