Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Bunker

I've been putting off writing this review purely because I lack the coherency to explain how utterly awful this comic was. It is difficult to review something that I didn't fully understand, not for lack of trying, but for lack of any sort of real plotting on the part of the book.

The premise is that five friends go into the woods to bury a time capsule, find a bunker, and within the bunker are letters written from their future selves warning of an apocalypse that they cause. The letters aim to change history (the future???) by having the past selves ... not do the bad things the are going to do. 

Right. So, my first issue with this is the whole tee-hee-we-are-going-to-bury-a-time-capsule kickoff. These 5 people are, it seems, college students. They are not eight years old. When I was eight years old, I thought a time capsule was the coolest thing in the world. One day, my friend and I went down by the lake (it's a big lake) to toss in a message in a bottle we had crafted from the non-alcoholic bottle of sangria we consumed at our sleepover the night before (note: it was some sort of weird organic sangria, and it tasted hideous, but I drank it anyway because I was a guest). We had these grand dreams that someone would find our message years later and think we were wonderfully clever and witty and so on.

We were eight. Not twenty-two.

So, by panel five, I was already not buying this. And oh, how we plummeted downhill from there.

Generally, reading a TP of a comic doesn't take me very long. This felt like the longest slog in the history of reading comics. Yikes. One the five people find their notes, we find out that one of them develops some sort of plague-thing that causes a global pandemic/environmental catastrophe and the good guy ends up being the President but then he's a bad guy and he's married to the Stereotypical Tough Hot Chick who's also evil and ... stuff. There was literally no point to this. 

AND THEN evil President future-guy shows up in our time (mwah-ha-HA!) and has Ulterior Motives. Wait, what? Where did they get a time machine? If they had a time machine and they really wanted to save the world, wouldn't they just go back and do something to their past selves instead of writing little love notes? In a world that's crippled and destroyed, HOW DO YOU BUILD A TIME MACHINE? WHY? Wouldn't you build a machine that would fix the world that you just destroyed instead of tinkering with the past?

To further add to the confusion, the art in this is just cringeworthy. I couldn't distinguish characters from one another at all, and all the letters from past selves are written in a highly irritating script (not as bad as Comic Sans, but pretty darn bad). The "art" is messy and careless.

I can say nothing other than stay far, far away from this one. I kind of wish I had a time machine to go back and tell myself not to waste my time reading this.

I received a copy of this from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment