Monday, June 30, 2014

Naja No No

I made it to page 86. I was surprised when I saw that number; I thought I must have been at least on page 386. That's how draaaaaged ouuuuuuuut this felt. 

I don't feel like wasting my time writing a detailed review of how utterly bad and unoriginal this was, but just think Jason Bourne meets La Femme Nikita meets a hefty does of French academic prolixity. Naja herself is a non-entity, her mission to rescue her friend is pointless, and I don't even know what happens after that because I quit. I mean, she was prancing around a Central American prison in something that would be a staple of Rihanna's wardrobe (which is only practical if you are Rihanna, but not if you are incognito in a prison). 

The absolute worst part of this mess, however, was the weird digression into the author's personal views on Haiti. "Naja hates Haitians. She could admire their ancestors, slaves who earned their freedom through toil and struggle ... but they used exactly the same purification methods as their former masters, cleansing the island of everyone with white skin." THEN the author quotes Christophe Darigny, a (white) scholar who wroteHaïti n'existe pas (Haiti Does Not Exist or possibly There Is No Haiti). Yes, thank you, Frenchman, for your dismissal of Haitians and their way of life. I thank you for your judgmental attitude, because that totally helps people who are in poverty.Quelle connerie.

Also, the translation of this is really awful. Most of it sounds direct-from-the-French instead of idiomatic English. Eeee.

I received an ARC of this title from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment