Friday, June 20, 2014

Busy Bee

I haven't actually finished a book lately, so it's kind of hard to review.  I am currently reading *checks* FIVE books at the moment.  Although one of them, The Three, by Sarah Lotz, I had to return to the library because someone else had a hold on it.  I'm not sure if I'll finish that one--the concept is interesting, but the execution was a bit odd in many places.  If I review it, you'll know what I mean.

Doesn't that sound cryptic?  Ha.

I'm also at a convention this weekend, so I don't have much reading time because when I get home I am exhausted.  It's amazing how tired you get by just sitting all day.  Although I did also clean windows, so it's not like I was totally immobile.

Currently, my attention is focused on Contagious by Scott Snyder and Gretel and the Dark by Eliza Granville.  It's probably really twisted to say this, but I'm liking Contagious just a smidge less than its predecessor, Infected, mostly because the driving force in the first book was the main character, Perry Dawsey.  The second main character was Chicken Scissors.  If you've read it, you're shuddering.  If not ... I'll tell you in my review.

Granville's book is quite literary, which is a lovely counterpoint to Contagious (not that Snyder can't write--dude can WRITE--but it's just a different style).  I finally figured out what time period we're in and now I'm hooked.  Plus she's making me exercise my rusty German AND she's into the old-school fairy tales.  I think this is going to be great.  At least, I hope so.  I'll be excessively peeved if it dodders off into Man Booker Prize Shortlist Land.  Not that the Man Booker isn't a valid award.  It is.  It just so happens that I have thoroughly loathed every single Man Booker anything I've ever read or tried to read.

Wait.  I don't want to be too harsh.  I'm currently scanning a document containing all of the winning and shortlisted authors and books.  Okay, it's not true that I loathed all of them.  I liked Ian McEwan's Amsterdam (1998 winner), I LOVE Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go (2005 shortlist), and, um, that's it.

Well, that derailed quickly.  I'm functioning on very little sleep.  Over and out, and back to Scott Snyder.

No comments:

Post a Comment