Wednesday, May 14, 2014

What I'm Reading Wednesday

Hmm.  What am I reading today?

Well, about five seconds ago, I just finished an ARC of Stray by Elissa Sussman.  Review to come on that.  So, I was reading it for most of Wednesday.  Does that count?

I'm also working on The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.  This sucker is a doorstop, but I'm already hooked.  From what I've heard from other readers, although it is extremely long, it's a galloping kind of read.  Lots and lots and lots of revenge.  Yum.


I am rather disappointed in myself because I fell for the nice packaging and didn't get the best of the guts.  Barnes and Noble has these really pretty leather-bound classics with shiny gold edges, and the magpie in me said, "Caw!  Caw!  Buy this one!"  So I did.  Plus, I figured a large hardcover would be easier to read than those super-thick yet squat paperbacks.  Unfortunately, I don't think the translation is the best.  Many turns of phrase are rendered in archaic English, which feels rather clunky.  I can't seem to find a name attached to the translation in my copy, so maybe they used Google Translate or something.  Seriously, though, it's not that bad.  I should have snagged a French copy off of Amazon but I am a) lazy, b) cheap, and c) a sucker for leather-bound books.

Last night, I started a book called Asylum by Madeleine Roux, and I'm really wondering if I want to keep reading.  It's pitched as great for fans of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, but evidently the photographs in Asylum were created specifically for the book, while Ransom Riggs used actual photographs found somewhere and inserted them into the story.  While I didn't love Miss Peregrine, I do have the sequel on my TBR, and I may just skip to that one and leave the Asylum.  Not much has happened so far except that the author has told us a lot about the characters, instead of showing us.  I also detect a James Patterson-esque predilection for ridiculously short chapters.

Lastly, I'm just now getting to Golden Girl by Sarah Zettel, which is book two in her American Fairy series.  I remember being so very pleasantly surprised by book one, Dust Girl.  It hit all the right notes for me: Great Depression, Dust Bowl, quests, Seelie and Unseelie Court wars, and to top it off, a biracial heroine.  YES.  Can't wait to see what Callie finds in Hollywood!


No comments:

Post a Comment