What I'm Reading This Weekend

Still chipping away at The Count of Monte Cristo.  Seriously, my progress is like that of the Abbé Faria in the book: about 10 years to get 10 feet.  To be sure, it is a very good story, and because I feel mildly ashamed of myself, I'll probably go read some more of it right after finishing this post.  However, I keep getting distracted by other things  like ...

The Kitchen Magpie by James Steen.  really don't think the recipes are necessary, but if you need filler, a recipe certainly isn't the worst way to go.
I'm going to start calling myself a magpie.  It's more concise than easily forgetful, easily distracted, forgetful, and mildly hyperactive.  Did I mention forgetful?  Of course I did.  I also like shiny things, goat cheese, and polka dots.  This is shaping up to be a quick read, but I'm not sure how well it will translate in the U.S. market, since a lot of his references are strictly U.K.  Plus, I* feel that perhaps it's too short.

The Siege of Macindaw by John Flanagan.  Trucking right on through the Ranger's Apprentice series, we now have an invasion of Scots in addition to treachery and the threat of being raided by Skandians (Vikings).  I think this would be an excellent series for kids who love history but also love action and adventure.  It's very referential to medieval Europe.






Hmm, what else do I plan on reading?  I've got loads of ARCs on my Kindle, plus an entire bookshelf of library books to knock out.

Chew Vol. 3 is a good candidate.  SOMEBODY on the internet totally spoiled the end for me (thanks ever so much!), but the writing and concept are so solid and fascinating that I'd read this even if you gave me a blow-by-blow.

I checked out A Separate Peace, aka That Book Everyone But Me Had To Read In High School, and someone else is waiting for it.  So far I've read three pages. Which is ... three pages more of the book than I've read before.  Progress!  We'll see how the rest goes.

If you'll excuse me, I've got doughnuts to glaze and dishes to wash.  And then ... doughnuts to eat.

*As evidence of my distractibility, here I managed to completely forget what I was writing and just move on to another book. I had that much of the sentence just hanging there, forlornly, at the end of paragraph.

Comments

Popular Posts