Sunday, March 23, 2014

What I'm Reading This Weekend

I have a habit of reading several things at the same time.  You could argue that it's a good habit or a bad one.  It depends on what I need to get done and which books are due soon at the library.  I like having options.

Right now I'm reading four books:

Red Rising by Pierce Brown
This is one of the big talk-about-me books of the year.  I'm enjoying it so far.  Unfortunately, I keep getting distracted by other things, so I'm not sure what that says about the book itself.  I'm not dying to finish it, obviously.  I know it's a trilogy, so maybe my mind is purposely dragging this out?

It's nicely sci-fi enough to remind me of the harder sci-fi I enjoy, like Alistair Reynolds, Neal Asher, and Peter F. Hamilton.


Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza
This has been on my list since I saw Debra at the Class of 2K13 panel at ALA 2013 in Chicago.  She was hilarious.  I started this one before I left for PLA this year, and as I had zero room for excess books (just the Kindle came with me), this stayed at home and I keep meaning to get back to it.


Rags & Bones: New Twists on Timeless Tales, ed. Melissa Marr and Tim Pratt

I love anthologies.  Even though the general pattern is that there will be one or two stories you won't like, I adore reading short fiction from authors I normally don't read.  The format constrains authors who might write paranormal love triangles, for instance, and forces them to funnel all their writing energy into a finite (imaginary) space.  I've found that in other anthologies I've read, my favorite stories are by authors whose full-length novels I didn't particularly like or that just didn't appeal to me.  So far, my favorite story in this collection is by Carrie Ryan (I suppose I'll have to give In the Forest of Hands and Teeth another go), with Rick Yancey's coming up a close second.

Sharcano by Jose Prendes.

I found this on Amazon about a month ago, and it made me laugh.  You know, like Sharknado but with a volcano instead of a tornado.  I try not to snark-read, but when this showed up on Netgalley, I had to request it.  When they approved me, I did a little happy dance.  It's as ridiculous as you'd expect and then some.  This guy is outdoing SyFy Originals, and that's really saying something.

Please also note the cover art.  There are lava sharks (because, as we've just found out in the middle  of the book, the lava is SENTIENT).  LAVA SHARKS.  This will be an epic blog post.  I promise.  There are notes.




No comments:

Post a Comment