The New 52: Night of the Owls

I am so geeky that I'm not even up on how we geeks and/or nerds refer to ourselves these days.  Is it geeks?  Is it nerds?  I use both of them in a positive way.  If someone called me a geek or a nerd, I'd say, "Thanks!"  We've had this discussion at work, and somebody's teenage son did give us an answer as to which was the preferred term in modern teenspeak, but I'll be darned if I can remember which one it was. 

Whatever. 

There are various degrees of geekitude or nerdliness.  I like nerdy things but I'm not hardcore by any means.  Like, I wasn't really a huge comic book/graphic novel reader until I became a teen librarian.  Even after my brother (who is on a much higher geek-plane than I am) ranted about the sheer awfulness of DC's New 52 reboot, I went for some of them anyway.  I started with the one he deemed, "pretty good," which was Batgirl.  I love Gail Simone's Batgirl.


She's funny and imperfect and mobile again (I know there's a huge kerfuffle about losing Oracle by giving Barbara use of her legs again but that's neither here nor there to me).
Aside from the fact that I like nerdy stuff and I'm a librarian, you should also know that I'm cheap.  Er, frugal.  I'm not one to go out and purchase individual issues of a comic.  I wait for the volumes to come in at the library, so they're free!  Unfortunately, that means I have to wait longer to get caught up.  Fortunately, it's free!

So, once I hit volume 2 of Batgirl, I realized I should probably read the Batman: Night of the Owls crossover.  I didn't realize how many characters from the "Bat Family" were involved in this.  Yikes.  I started the Batman series anyway, since I really like Scott Snyder's work, and I was all set for volume 2.

The basic premise is that this ultra-secret organization called the Court of Owls, which has secretly been in Gotham since its founding, has decided to unleash their cryogenically preserved fleet of assassins, called Talons, on Gotham and on Batman.  They're going to kill all of the powerful people in Gotham.  I'm not quite sure how the storyline will develop after this because *minor spoiler* they get most of the important people on the list.  Like, Gotham has no government now. 

ANYWAY.  I really only found three of the multiple storylines compelling, and one of them didn't really count, since I'd already read it (Batgirl).  I quite liked Snyder's Batman and the Nightwing storyline.  Confession: I've always rather liked Nightwing, even when he had that awful mullet 'do.  NightwingThe storyline involving Alfred's dad was rather convoluted, and the art in the last story was absolutely atrocious.  Alfred looked nothing like Alfred and Bruce looked nothing like Bruce.  Ugh. 

I think you have to really like all of the characters that are swirling around in this crossover to really, really enjoy it.  The main weakness was that since the volume collected stories from different superheroes fighting the same villain(s), the story arc of each individual storyline was the same.  Superhero meets Talon.  Talon gives little speech about how Court of Owls has threatened _____ to die.  They fight.  Superhero goes, "Whoa!  These dudes are piercing my impenetrable armor (or whatever the schtick is)! I must fight harder! *bleeds all over*).  Superhero pitches a massive comeback and is victorious despite having lost 90% of his/her blood supply. 
I know, I know, it's comics.  They're SUPERheroes, so they have to be able to beat unbeatable odds.  Otherwise, it wouldn't be fantasy.  But I do like a dose of reality in my fantasy, thanks ever so much.  That's why I like Simone's Batgirl

I wouldn't actively discourage people from reading this, but I would only encourage it if you are a big fan of the reboot AND you like various members of the Bat Family.  (Or is it Batfamily? BatFamily???)

Right now I'll stick with Batman and Batgirl, although I may have to add a little Dick Grayson into the mix to spice things up.  So grateful that he ditched the mullet.

Comments

Popular Posts