Monday, March 10, 2014

27bslash6, David Thorne, and Unattractive Laughter

I think I discovered David Thorne, of 26bslash7 on Twitter. Maybe from one of the nerdaliciously awesome people I follow, like Charlie Stross or Cory Doctorow. Of course, I had to click over to the website. I promptly put in an interlibrary loan request for his first book (^^^this one, duh), after reading of his travails with Penguin (the publishing house, not the fashion people). 
The Internet Is a Playground
If you are looking for a book to make you laugh so hard that you start to make gasping, hiccuping, wheezing noises during your lunch hour, thus causing all of your coworkers to look at you with mingled horror and curiosity, please read this book. Caveat: if you don't like snark, do not read this book. Thorne is, as I gather, something of a professional internet troll. He's also extremely clever and utterly unfiltered. A lot of his stuff has to do with people at work or clients making ridiculous requests, which I can relate to on some level (he's in graphic design, I'm in public service). His Blockbuster email exchange sounds suspiciously like what I would hear from library patrons who didn't want to pay for the DVDs that they lost/ran over with the car/gave to their cousin who is now in jail in another state. 

I'm not quite sure how much of this is fact and how much is fiction, and that's kind of what I love about it. He's so brilliant at fusing the two. 

The email exchanges also show that he can be pretty cruel and rather a jerk (other people aren't as polite as I am), but sometimes it's a relief to realize that there are loads of people out there who are nastier than you are. 

Placing a request for his next book, which ticked off Penguin so much (still think that the merger should have created Random Penguin instead of Penguin Random House, which is SO vanilla), ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment