Friday, February 14, 2014

Back to Blogging

Once upon a time, I had a blog.  It was probably awful.  Actually, let me just throw myself under the bus (it's just easier to do it yourself than to have someone else do it to you) and say it was bad.

In a few days, I will have been a Real Librarian for one whole year.  I work with kids, and I do a ton of research on young adult literature, because I'm responsible for that collection at my library.  Somehow, the department managed to shanghai me into doing two preschool storytimes.  If you'd asked me, even five years ago, if I ever saw myself singing and dancing in front of a roomful of people, I would have died laughing in disbelief.  Now I do it every week.

I didn't say I did it well.  But I will say I enjoy it.  Kids are hilarious.

Anyway, I read a lot of YA books, because if I'm buying it, I don't want to be wasting money on something that's, well, worthless.  Obviously, I don't love every book I buy.  I buy Twilight copycats and mushy romances and football novels because teens read them.  That is the really important thing. I want them to read and enjoy reading.

However, that doesn't mean I don't have my own opinions about what I preview.  Take that, English teacher who forbade the double negative!

And so (double take that, English teacher who said I couldn't start a sentence with "and" or "but"!), here are my thoughts on what I've read, as well as snippets of life as a Youth Services Librarian.  Trust me.  I don't just "sit around and read books all day," nor do I have a "quiet job."  After the second vomit incident, things get a lot easier, and I get more blasée about "accidents."

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment